Subject: Re: [PATCH] fast-(import|export): improve on the signature algorithm name

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2025 20:14:03 -0700

Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

> Personally, I kind of think abort makes more sense as the default --
> at some point.

Oh, of course.

> So I'm curious if you've just changed your mind
> completely from before and are against changing the default at all,

Yes, after seeing that the representation of the signature algorithm
and encapsulation format was not as well thought out as I thought it
would already be and its design still being discussed, I realized
that the new feature was way premature to have in the release.  At
some point, when things mature and we are reasonably sure we will
not have to make incompatible changes in the data stream, we might
need to switch, and the best default might turn out to be to refuse
to work unless the end-user makes an explicit choice, but as the
design of the feature stands now, I have a feeling that it is a bit
premature.  Certainly not ready for general consumption.

Of course, I could have just reverted the merge of the original
topic and give it a chance for a fresh restart the next cycle, but a
new feature clearly marked "highly experimental" would hopefully set
the end-user expectation straight, as long as the default is "do not
do anything different from before", which is the safest choice for a
feature whose design is still wobbly.