Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 2/3] docs: improve send-email documentation

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2025 06:33:58 -0700

Aditya Garg <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> -To use 'git send-email' to send your patches through the GMail SMTP server,
>>> -edit ~/.gitconfig to specify your account settings:
>>> +To use 'git send-email' to send your patches through the Gmail SMTP server,
>>> +edit '~/.gitconfig' to specify your account settings:
>> 
>> The four single quotes above should probably be changed to back
>> quotes, to match the "You can also use OAuth2.0..." below.
>
> I think ~/.gitconfig should be in single quotes, its not a command.

"Is this something the end-user would type verbatim?" is the criteria,
not "Is this a command name?".

> Gmail supports for OAUTHBEARER and XOAUTH2. I added OAUTHBEARER
> just for the sake of a different example. I think adding a choice
> between two will just cause confusion among people.
>
> Outlook supports only XOAUTH2 (which is surprising since OAUTHBEARER
> is described in RFC, and XOAUTH2 is Google's).

Your examples that show that smtpAuth can take these different
values are certainly good.  As we know what these two services
support, it is worth saying, no?  Unless it is like Gmail supports
both but git-send-email for whatever reason can use only one of them
to talk to Gmail, that is.

Thanks.