Subject: Re: [PATCH 10/10] contrib: remove "git-new-workdir"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2025 10:25:56 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> hasn't really worked like that in the past. I think though that we have
> outgrown the old concept of "contrib/" for quite a while already, and
> that it doesn't really work well in its current form. The ecosystem
> around Git has grown big enough that we don't want to and cannot host it
> as part of Git itself anymore, so that original need has gone away.

Yes.  Thanks for saying this again---I think I said something along
the line from time to time for the past 10 years ;-).  The ecosystem
is mature enough that we no longer have to ship "batteries included"
manner to make the initial end-user experience of Git tolerable.

> If this is something that the project can agree on I'm happy to rewrite
> "contrib/README" accordingly. Maybe I should even do it without having
> any consent yet so that it can serve as a starting point for discussion.

Yeah, the latter is a good attitude to see.  It is way easier for
everybody involved what the issues are if we have something to base
our discussion on.

Thanks.