Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2025, #06; Wed, 22)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2025 15:33:06 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Nice way to use extended context to show why the change makes sense.
>
> I've been tempted to support a:
>
>   Diff-options: -U10
>
> trailer, but that is probably overkill and full of annoying corner
> cases.

Do you mean to embed it in the commit log trailer and upon seeing
it, the log family of commands add it to their setup_revisions()
invocation, thusly affecting things like "format-patch" and "show"?

As a reminder for a patch submitter (i.e., communicated by you who
wrote the commit to future you who will run format-patch for
submission), something locally maintained might be sufficient,
e.g. refs/notes/diffopts that is not shared by default, but still,
this hint probably wants to be per-path (ideally per-hunk).

But I think it will make it annoying if you forced those who fetched
from you to use "-U10" when they do "git show", as the choice would
be strongly affected by personal preference.  And I certainly do not
want to see anything less benign than "-U10" silently forced upon me.

Thanks.