Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Revert "doc: move git-cherry to plumbing"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2025 09:35:08 -0800

"Kristoffer Haugsbakk" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2025, at 17:56, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> It is not like it is a crime to intarctively make use of a plumbing
>> command, or we intentionally try to hide plumbing command from them
>> by making it deliberately less accessible.  "git cat-file commit X"
>> may be handier than "git show -s X" for some people and that is not
>> to be frowned upon.
>>
>> And what you call "might only be" is really the crucial thing to
>> consider.  If we want to keep a tool's output stable and machine
>> readable, we need to mark it as "meant for Porcelain writers", and
>> classifying the tool as plumbing is a pretty much established way to
>> do so.
>
> Okay.  I understand now.

I forgot to mention one thing worth addressing in your message,
though.  Making the tool more discoverable.  It is a valuable
consideration.

But I somehow think moving a tool between plumbing and Porcelain
boundary is not the way to do so.

There is a collection of "howto" articles in Documentation/howto/
that is meant to be the place to learn how to go from workflow and
objective to tools.  If you have a success story that your use of
"git cherry" helped greatly what you wanted to achieve, it may be a
good place to share it.

Thanks.