Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 5/5] remote: announce removal of "branches/" and "remotes/"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2025 09:09:28 -0800

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 07, 2025 at 11:55:16AM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
>
>> I like this but wonder whether there might be some way to inhibit the
>> warnings one a user gets it and decides they will act but do not want
>> to see the warnings any longer? I have had requests like this on other
>> products. Just a thought.
>
> I guess the best idea I have here is to use an environment variable,
> e.g. "GIT_ALLOW_DEPRECATED_REMOTES=true", along with a hint for how to
> enable it.

Hmph.

I may be missing something, but wouldn't the whole point of the
warning be noisy and pesky as long as the user _uses_ that
configuration?  It is not like "you can set this knob and delay the
removal past Git 3.0".  If the user migrates away from the mechanism
that is being removed, we would stop bugging the user about the
stale setting, so I do not see why we want to add anything extra
(other than possibly telling them how to migrate away from
$GIT_DIR/{branches,remotes}/ using "git remote" in the warning
message itself).

Thanks.