Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/8] git-prompt: add fallback for shells without $'...'

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2024 09:19:50 -0700

avih <[email-masked]> writes:

> Generalized solution (without namespace-ification):

I think you are over-engineering this.  We do not have immediate
need for such facility to be used by other scripts.  On the other
hand, we know exactly what git-prompt wants to see available, and
you already implemented them.

So just losing "make assignment asuming $'blah' works, and then
reassign based on what printf gave us" and always using the printf
thing is what we want to see here.

>     assign_as_fmt \
>         __git_SOH='\1' __git_STX='\2' __git_ESC='\33' \
>         __git_LF='\n' __git_CRLF='\r\n'

Are you sure that everybody's implementation of printf(1) is happy
with \d and \dd?  I am an old timer who learnt in a distant past to
always spell octals as \ddd without omitting any leading 0-digit,
because some was unhappy.

Thanks.