Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 11/12] refs: implement logic to migrate between ref storage formats

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2024 08:41:10 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> In my fork I trigger Coverity runs based on my personal integration
> branch, which is based on next plus a list of non-garbage topics I'm
> working on. So I get to see (and fix) my own bugs before anybody else
> does. But I don't see other people's bugs until they're in next.

I am on a mostly same boat but doing a bit better ;-) in that my
daily driver is a point marked as 'jch', somewhere between 'next'
and 'seen', that appears on "git log --first-parent --oneline
master..seen", and this serves as a very small way [*] to see
breakages by others before they hit 'next'.

    Side note: This does not work as well as I should, because my
    use cases are too narrow to prevent all breakage from getting
    into 'next'.

> I could try running against "seen", but it's a minor hassle. I don't
> otherwise touch that branch at all, and I certainly don't want my daily
> driver built off of it. Plus it sometimes has test failures or other
> hiccups, and I already get enough false positive noise from Coverity (so
> even if I ran it, I'd be unlikely to spend much time digging into
> failures).

I'd recommend against anybody using "seen" as their daily driver.

Being in 'seen' merely is "I happened to have seen it floating on
the list", and the only guarantee I can give them is that I at least
have read sections of their code that happened to conflict with
other topics more carefully than just giving a casual reading over
them.

If CI is broken for more than a few days for 'seen', I may look at
them a bit more carefully, only to see which one is causing the
breakage.  But that is not necessarily to fix the breakage myself
but to just eject it out of 'seen' ;-).