Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] launch_editor: waiting message on error

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 08:46:03 -0700

Rubén Justo <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 08:44:25AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>...
>> It happens ONLY when the error message the editor itself emits
>> (which comes later on the same line as "We are waiting for your
>> editor...") without terminating newline itself.  Otherwise, we'd
>> have
>> 
>>     We are waiting ... THE EDITOR SAYS I FAILED
>>     _
>> 
>> on the screen, and the cursor is at the _ position.  term_clear_line()
>> would not clear anything.
>
> Not with a careless editor:

That is why I said "Otherwise".  Of course, a broken editor would
give broken output. What else is new?  And more importantly, if you
wrote such an editor, would you release it in such a buggy form to
the outside world?  Does it still look like a problem worth spending
our brain cycles on?