Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/1] config: allow tweaking whitespace between value and comment

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 10:27:22 -0700

Ralph Seichter <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> I thought we already discussed this and unconditional "#comment" has
>>> already been declared a non starter.
>
> This unilateral decision of yours, and the following prolonged debate
> about spaces/tabs (which I clearly stated I consider a waste of time)
> left me with the impression that what I think doesn't matter much
> anyway.

You can call it unilateral or whatever you like, but there are
project principles, e.g., "try to keep things consistent", and
"making unusual things possible is fine, but it shouldn't make the
default thing harder", and they are not negotiable.

When it comes to quality of the end product, it is true that your
considering it a waste of time does not matter.  It is effort needed
to polish your topic to an acceptable level.  Either we do so with
the help of reviewer input, or alternatively we could drop the
topic.

In any case, I'll keep the three patches separate and mark the topic
for 'next'.

Thanks.