Subject: Re: A note from the maintainer

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 06:12:03 -0700

"Brian Lyles" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I actually meant what I wrote.
>> 
>> It is possible that the reason why your patch did not receive any
>> response was because it was uninspiring, looked useless, and did not
>> deserve anybody's attention.  But it is also possible that it was
>> lost in the noise.
>> ...
> Thanks for the clarification. I do still think that a change in the
> wording and tone of this section could help make the project appear more
> friendly to new contributors. Phrases like "totally uninteresting",
> "uninspiring", "looked useless", and "did not deserve anybody's
> attention" are all fairly harsh sounding, even if sometimes true.

You completely lost me.  How much harsh words are used before "But
it is also possible" would not make the project sound less friendly
at all.

Let me try again.

You see your patch was sent but did not receive any reaction.  You
might start thinking: "hmm, perhaps my patch was so horrible" and
you might think all the bad and harsh things about the quality of
your patch.

But do not let such thought stop you from pinging the thread again,
because the quality of your patch may not at all be the reason why
you did not receive any reaction.  It could be just people were
swamped and your patch fell into cracks, and there was nothing wrong
with it.