Subject: Re: bug? subprocesses can use wrong Git if $PATH is unset

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 10:38:11 +0900

"brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2023-06-02 at 16:14:47, Priedhorsky, Reid wrote:
>> Hello Brian,
>> 
>> I do wonder if the behavior would be worth documenting, e.g. at
>> https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Internals-Environment-Variables,
>> where Git’s relationship to $HOME is also documented. I would be happy
>> to submit a pull request.
>
> I don't think it's necessary, since it's expected behaviour for me, but
> I am not the only person on this list, and perhaps others would
> appreciate a patch.

I tend to agree that it is an expected behaviour.  In addition,
unsetting PATH is not something people deliberately do every day
without understanding its implications, so I would rather not see us
add "if you do this esteric thing, this would happen" for them.

Thanks.