Subject: Re: [PATCH] t5516: fail to run in verbose mode

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 10:17:29 +0900

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> I agree this is a good fix for now, but I wonder philosophically what it
> means. That is, I could see two arguments:
>
>   1. Our tests sometimes run with stderr connected to a tty and
>      sometimes not. This means the test environment isn't consistent,
>      and perhaps we should be piping all "-v" tests through "cat" or
>      something so that the environment is stable.

Yes, this is tempting (and I almost brought it up in my response),
and a pipe to "|cat" may be hopefully closer than tester's tty to
the redirection to "/dev/null".  I didn't know how much closer,
though, and the differences may still matter (we could teach "git
grep" or "git diff --exit-code" to notice that the output is sent to
/dev/null and stop at the first hit, for example), but still "|cat"
is closer than ">/dev/tty".

> None of which needs to hold up this patch, but I wonder if we'd want to
> pursue the larger fix in (1).

Yeah, I agree.

Thanks.