Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/5] CodingGuidelines: various C99 updates

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 11:15:35 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> This series:
>>
>>  * Rephrases CodingGuidelines so that we note we're on C99, and then
>>    lists exceptions and features we use. The previous prose assumed
>>    C89 by default.
>>
>>    We still explicitly avoid opening the "feel free to use an C99
>>    feature" floodgates.
>
> The above contradicts with each other.  A sensible position to
> support the "we do not open the floodgate" is that when in doubt
> stick to C89 but use C99 features that are explicitly allowed.

Ah, I think I misread the intention, which 1/5 clarified.  I think
"even though we require your CC claim to support C99, you are
expected to stick to C89 plus those features that are explicitly
allowed" is a very sensible thing to day.