Subject: Re: [PATCH v6+ 0/7] js/scalar-diagnose rebased

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 10:37:43 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Recent document clarification on the "--prefix" option of the "git
>> archive" command from René serves as a good basis for the
>> documentation of the "--add-virtual-file" option added by this
>> series, so here is my attempt to rebase js/scalar-diagnose topic
>> on it to hopefully help reduce Dscho's workload ;-)
>
> I usually frown upon sending patches on other people's behalf without
> obtaining their consent first [*1*], but in this case I have to admit that
> I appreciate your help very much.

I understand what you mean.

Consider this as an extended form of the usual notes I send to a
thread to say "ok, based on the discussion I saw on the list, I'll
tweak OP's patch <this way> while queuing; thank you all for
contributing."  The way I try to convey <this way> can range from
words (e.g. when a reviewer points out a typo) to a fixup patch
(e.g. when the necessary update is a bit more involved), and this
time it took a full series with interdiff form.  Of course I do not
have to do any of the above and just leave it up to the OP to pick
up ideas from the discussion while sending updates, but sometimes
it is quicker to skip round-trips.

I do not say "Please holler if I misunderstood the discussion and
correct me, and the OP can always update/override with a rerolled
series." when I send out such a "here is how the version queued
would be different from the original" notice, but I always mean
that, this time included ;-).

Your "frowning upon" is understandable in that it can become a
hostile behaviour towards others, including the maintainer who is
forced to ignore or pick.  It is never fun to be in the position to
always exclude half of the patches posted to the list by
contributors who are competing instead of cooperating, and resending
a tweaked patch to show "here is how I would imagine is a better
version of your series" needs to be done with care.

Thanks.