Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 09/13] bundle: parse filter capability

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 10:41:12 -0800

"Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> diff --git a/Documentation/git-bundle.txt b/Documentation/git-bundle.txt
> index 72ab8139052..ac4c4352aae 100644
> --- a/Documentation/git-bundle.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/git-bundle.txt
> @@ -75,8 +75,11 @@ verify <file>::
>  	cleanly to the current repository.  This includes checks on the
>  	bundle format itself as well as checking that the prerequisite
>  	commits exist and are fully linked in the current repository.
> -	'git bundle' prints a list of missing commits, if any, and exits
> -	with a non-zero status.
> +	Information about additional capabilities, such as "object filter",
> +	is printed. See "Capabilities" in link:technical/bundle-format.html
> +	for more information. Finally, 'git bundle' prints a list of
> +	missing commits, if any. The exit code is zero for success, but
> +	will be nonzero if the bundle file is invalid.

Hmph.  I wasn't expecting this change (not objecting, but mostly am
surprised) relative to the previous round where the filter was
mentioned only when we issue an error message.  I was expecting to
see something like "list-filters <file>", which is analog to the
"list-heads <file>", to help those who want to programatically build
around the "git bundle" command output.  Or "--list-capabilities" to
accomodate the current, this, and future capabilities.  We already
have the object-format thing before this series.  Do we have an
interface to expose that out of a given bundle file?