Subject: Re: bugreport: git apply -3 confusing "lacks the necessary blob"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 10:14:46 -0700

Jan Kratochvil <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 19:40:12 +0200, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> But I think Jan is talking about the case where users get a patch
>> that lacks the "index" information out of other people's "diff"
>> implementation and try to "apply -3" without realizing that it is
>> not Git's "diff" output.
>
> For example from Phabricator:
> 	https://reviews.llvm.org/file/data/3ceoc32b3yv43vk3nw4q/PHID-FILE-lfeeh2qu4vrngdcwwudo/D107456.diff
>
>
>> Perhaps something like the attached patch would be a good start.
>
> Do you plan to check it in?

Maybe eventually but not yet.  When I say "a good start", it is
because it is known to be insufficient.  I haven't had a chance to
revisit the issue.