Subject: Re: [PATCH] make: add install-strip target

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 12:54:39 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> -install: all
> +install: all | strip
>  	$(INSTALL) -d -m 755 '$(DESTDIR_SQ)$(bindir_SQ)'
>  	$(INSTALL) -d -m 755 '$(DESTDIR_SQ)$(gitexec_instdir_SQ)'
>  	$(INSTALL) $(ALL_PROGRAMS) '$(DESTDIR_SQ)$(gitexec_instdir_SQ)'
> -- snap --
>
> I am not quite certain that this is compatible with other `make`
> implementations we still might support (if there are any, I remember that
> we often have to rely on `gmake` because the native `make` does not
> understand our `Makefile`?), so that might need to be conditional on GNU
> Make.

I think we are pretty-much dependent on GNU make already (it is
possible to raise a weather balloon to confirm by renaming Makefile
to GNUmakefile and observing if anybody complains, I think).

But I am not sure what such a rule does for a .PHONY target like
'strip'.  Does it do the right thing, i.e. "install recipe is run
after 'strip' recipe has run, iff 'strip' is also asked for"?

Thanks.