Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 2/6] connected: do not sort input revisions

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 09:50:42 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Wouldn't that effectively change semantics though? If the user passes
> `git rev-list --no-walk=unsorted --no-walk`, then the result is a sorted
> revwalk right now. One may argue that most likely, nobody is doing that,
> but you never really know.

True.

> An easier approach which keeps existing semantics is to just make
> `--no-walk` and `--unsorted-input` mutually exclusive:
>
>     - If the `unsorted_input` bit is set and `no_walk` isn't, and we
>       observe any `--no-walk` option, then we bail.
>
>     - Likewise, if the `no_walk` bit is set, then we bail when we see
>       `--unsorted-input` regardless of the value of `unsorted_input`.
>       This would keep current semantics of `--no-walk`, but prohobit
>       using it together with the new option.

True again.  As I said, I do prefer going in the "start tight to
forbid combination" route.  But as I pointed out, the coverage by
the posted patch seemed to have gap(s).

Thanks.