Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 09/22] pickaxe: die when -G and --pickaxe-regex are combined

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 16:36:52 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> When the -G and --pickaxe-regex options are combined we simply ignore
> the --pickaxe-regex option. Let's die instead as suggested by our
> documentation, since -G is always a regex.
>
> When --pickaxe-regex was added in d01d8c6782 (Support for pickaxe
> matching regular expressions, 2006-03-29) only the -S option
> existed. Then when -G was added in f506b8e8b5 (git log/diff: add
> -G<regexp> that greps in the patch text, 2010-08-23) neither the
> documentation for --pickaxe-regex was updater accordingly, nor was

s/updater/updated/;

> something like this assertion added.
>
> Since 5bc3f0b567 (diffcore-pickaxe doc: document -S and -G properly,
> 2013-05-31) we've claimed that --pickaxe-regex should only be used
> with -S, but have silently toileted combining it with -G, let's die

toilet?  tolerate?

> instead.

Hmph.  I've always hated that -G can only take regexp and users
cannot ask for a fixed-string match.  It may not be a bad idea to
keep this as-is, as that would leave the door open for those who are
motivated enough to later introduce --no-pickaxe-regex, so that
-G<string> would naturally work with combination with it.