Subject: Re: [PATCH 01/27] *: remove 'const' qualifier for struct index_state

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 14:01:45 -0700

"Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
>
> Several methods specify that they take a 'struct index_state' pointer
> with the 'const' qualifier because they intend to only query the data,
> not change it. However, we will be introducing a step very low in the
> method stack that might modify a sparse-index to become a full index in
> the case that our queries venture inside a sparse-directory entry.
>
> This change only removes the 'const' qualifiers that are necessary for
> the following change which will actually modify the implementation of
> index_name_stage_pos().

This step has a bit of interaction with Matheus's "git add/rm" work
in sparse checkout (mt/add-rm-in-sparse-checkout), which I believe
is still in a bit of flux.  I didn't check potential conflicts the
remainder of the series may have with other in-flight topics.

So, I may throw review comments at the patches in this topic as if
they are standalone, but please do not be upset if it didn't appear
in the 'seen' topic.

Thanks.