Subject: Re: [PATCH] test-lib: guard against being run as 'prove t*.sh'

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 09:33:53 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> We have t/Makefile targets to properly run the tests with prove,
> however it's also just as valid to run them as e.g.:
>
>     prove t[0-9]*.sh
>
> But if they're run as:
>
>     prove t*.sh

I am not sure if the above is a good enough excuse to diverge from
our convention not to add #! to signal that a scriptlet is not to
be used standalone but is meant to be dot-sourced.  At least to me,
this change looks like making the codebase worse to protect from a
mistake that we should not have to worry about in real life.

But that may be because my use of prove is limited to a more
targetted and narrow set of tests (i.e. either use "t4???-*.sh" for
an area, or a single test---anything broader I'd use "make").