Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 6/6] doc/git-commit: add documentation for fixup=[amend|reword] options

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 16:30:55 -0800

Charvi Mendiratta <[email-masked]> writes:

> ---fixup=<commit>::
> -	Construct a commit message for use with `rebase --autosquash`.
> -	The commit message will be the subject line from the specified
> -	commit with a prefix of "fixup! ".  See linkgit:git-rebase[1]
> -	for details.

Overall, the text in this round reads much better than the previous
round.

> +--fixup=[(amend|reword):]<commit>::
> +	Construct a new commit for use with `rebase --autosquash`,
> +	which fixes the specified commit. The plain form
> +	`--fixup=<commit>` creates a "fixup!" commit, that allows
> +	to fixup only the content of the specified commit and leave
> +	it's commit log message untouched. When used with `amend:`
> +	or `reword:`, it creates "amend!" commit that is like "fixup!"
> +	commit but it allows to fixup both the content and the commit
> +	log message of the specified commit. The commit log message of
> +	the specified commit is fixed implicitly by replacing it with
> +	the "amend!" commit's message body upon `rebase --autosquash`.

Rewriting

    "is fixed implicitly by replacing it with" -> "is replaced by"

may make it easier to follow.

Thanks.