Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/6] rebase -i: add config to abbreviate command-names

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 22:04:10 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

>> If 'git-rebase--interactive.sh' is bound to be replaced, I could
>> just shrink this to the Documentation cleanup (patches 4 and 5)
>> and rework the rest on top of your new implementation.
>
> I kind of hoped that Junio would chime in with his verdict. That would be
> the ultimate deciding factor, I think.

What I can predict is that within two or three release cycles
(unless you completely lose interest) the todo-list generation will
be all in C and that I anticipate that the C version may even be
capable of generating different kind of todo command (e.g. to
support tools like your Garden Shears more natively), so the
mid-term direction definitely is that any enhancement would in the
end needs to happen on top of or in coordination with the C rewrite
we've been discussing recently.

I didn't know what the comfort levels of Liam working with scripted
vs C code, and the "vertict" depends on that, I would think.  We may
want to discuss the enhancement in the original scripted form Liam
did with new tests while the C rewrite is still cooking, and either
Liam, you or somebody else can make it work with your C rewrite when
both are ready.  If Liam feels comfortable working with you and the
code after the C rewrite that is still in-flight, it is also fine if
the next iteration from Liam were on top of your series.