Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 12/16] pathspec: create parse_long_magic function

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 15:44:31 -0800

Brandon Williams <[email-masked]> writes:

> Factor out the logic responsible for parsing long magic into its own
> function.  As well as hoist the prefix check logic outside of the inner
> loop as there isn't anything that needs to be done after matching
> "prefix:".
>
> Signed-off-by: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>

These refactoring changes look like they are all going in the good
direction.  Stefan's :(attr:<attribute spec>)path" changes however
have severe conflicts (e.g. the topic already does something similar
to this step and calls the factored-out function eat_long_magic()).

My gut feeling is that we probably should ask Stefan's series to be
rebased on top of this series that cleans up pathspec implementation,
once it stabilizes.  We could probably go the other way around, but
logically it makes more sense to build "pathspec can also match
using attributes information" on top of a refactored codebase.

Thoughts?