Subject: Re: [PATCH] gpg-interface: reflect stderr to stderr

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2016 11:20:09 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 10:27:34AM +0200, Michael J Gruber wrote:
>
>> Now, I can't reproduce C on Linux[*], so there is more involved. It
>> could be that my patch just exposes a problem in our start_command()
>> etc.: run-command.c contains a lot of ifdefing, so possibly quite
>> different code is run on different platforms.
>
> Maybe, though my blind guess is that it is simply that on Linux we can
> open /dev/tty directly, and console-IO on Windows is a bit more
> complicated.

True.

Even though this patch is fixing only one of the two issues, I am
tempted to say that we should queue it for now, as it does so
without breaking a bigger gain made by the original, i.e. we learn
the status of verification in a way the authors of GPG wants us to,
while somebody figuires out what the best way is to show the prompt
to the console on Windows.