Subject: Re: Issue with global config defaults "user.useConfigOnly = true" + "pull.rebase = preserve" - "user.email"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 15:45:35 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> TBH, I'm not sure anybody cares that much between the three. Even before
> user.useConfigOnly, this could be an issue on machines where the ident
> could not be auto-configured, and it seems like nobody ran across it.
> It's only the funny interaction with pull.rebase that makes it likely to
> come up, so as long as that code path is fixed (one way or another), I
> doubt anybody would bring it up again.

Yup, I do not think the choice among the three would make all that
much difference in practice.  If I really have to pick one of them,
I think the one in your message I am responding to would make the
most sense.

The one I sent, which I wrote as a response to some end-user request
on the list back then, has been sitting on 'pu' for quite a while
because I didn't see a real use or positive support for it, and the
only reason why I sent it is because this might be that one
real use it wanted to see.

> In some ways this is less convenient, but in some ways it is
> more so; the user can then manually commit or even "git
> rebase --continue" after setting up their ident (or
> providing it as a one-off on the command line).

Yup, that is the controvercial bit, and I suspect Dscho's original
was siding for the "set up ident first, as you will need it anyway
eventually", so I'll let others with viewpoints different from us to
chime in first before picking it up.

Thanks.