Subject: Re: Parallel checkout (Was Re: 0 bot for Git)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 10:31:39 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 01:18:46PM +0200, Christian Couder wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Duy Nguyen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> > On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 12:04:49AM +0200, Christian Couder wrote:
>> >>
>> >> There is a draft of an article about the first part of the Contributor
>> >> Summit in the draft of the next Git Rev News edition:
>> >>
>> >> https://github.com/git/git.github.io/blob/master/rev_news/drafts/edition-14.md
>> >
>> > Thanks. I read the sentence "This made people mention potential
>> > problems with parallelizing git checkout" and wondered what these
>> > problems were.
>> 
>> It may have been Michael or Peff (CC'ed) saying that it could break
>> some builds as the timestamps on the files might not always be ordered
>> in the same way.
>
> I don't think it was me. I'm also not sure how it would break a build.

Yup, "will break a build" is a crazy-talk that I'd be surprised if
you said something silly like that ;-)

Last time I checked, I think the accesses to attributes from the
convert.c thing was one of the things that are cumbersome to make
safe in multi-threaded world.