Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] t5004: test ZIP archives with many entries

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 08:45:39 -0700

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 5:29 AM, "René Scharfe" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I suspected that zipinfo's output might be formatted differently on
>> different platforms and tried to guard against it by checking for the
>> number zero there. Git's ZIP file creation is platform independent
>> (modulo bugs), so having a test run at least somewhere should
>> suffice. In theory.
>>
>> We could add support for the one-line-summary variant on OS X easily,
>> though.
>
> Probably, although it's looking like testing on Mac OS X won't be
> fruitful (see below).

Can we move this topic forward by introducing a new prerequisite
ZIPINFO and used at the beginning of these tests (make it a lazy
prereq)?  Run zipinfo on a trivial archive and see if its output is
something we recognize to decide if the platform supports that
ZIPINFO prerequisite and do this test only on them.

After all, what _is_ being tested, i.e. our archive creation, would
not change across platforms, so having a test that runs on a known
subset of platforms is better than not having anything at all.

Thanks.