Subject: Re: Building git 2.4.5 on AIX 6.1 problems

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:30:18 -0700

John Norris <[email-masked]> writes:

> I am trying to compile git 2.4.5 which I downloaded as a tar file on
> AIX 6.1. The machine has gcc installed.
> Having read through the INSTALL file, there appear to be several ways,
> either using configure, make, make install or just make, make install
> with prefix of where to install.
> Anyway whichever approach I try I end up with the same error.
>     LINK git-credential-store
> ld: 0711-224 WARNING: Duplicate symbol: .bcopy
> ...
> But really need help as this is very frustrating and googling has not
> found anything that quite matches it.

As "ld: 0711-224 WARNING: Duplicate symbol: .bcopy" seems to hit
many similar issues across different piece of software, I have a
suspicion that AIX folks (as opposed to Git folks) may have a lot
better insight to the peculiarity of the platform.

Running "make" with "V=1" may show the exact command line that is
invoked (it would begin with "gcc ...", I think), which may help
diagnosing the issue further.