Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC 1/2] git-rebase -i: Add key word "drop" to remove a commit

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 08:36:14 -0700

Remi Galan Alfonso <[email-masked]>
writes:

> At first we wanted a clear indication about removing a commit in
> rebase -i. We didn't know about the noop command.
>  - 'noop' does the same thing as 'drop' but for the user deleting a
>    commit through 'noop' doesn't seem to be the proper way to use this
>    command. Moreover 'noop' is not documented (especially it is not
>    shown in the short help that is display in the editor during the
>    rebase -i)

As Matthieu said elsewhere during the discussion, 'noop' is merely
to ignore everything that follows (so 'noop stupid git' does not
mean "ignore commit identified by 'stupid git'") and the only reason
why it exists is as a hack to have a way to make a non-empty todo
list, because an empty todo list means "do not do anything, not even
rewinding to the onto commit".

As such, I actually think it is a mistake to consider 'noop' as
"drop _this_ commit"; the remainder of the line that begins with
'noop' does not name any commit.