Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] git-verify-pack.txt: fix inconsistent spelling of "packfile"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 12:34:03 -0700

There still are a handful of "pack-file" remaining in the
documentation set, even after applying these three that changes
6 instances of 'pack-file' to 'packfile'.

git-index-pack.txt:'git index-pack' [-v] [-o <index-file>] <pack-file>
git-index-pack.txt:                 [<pack-file>]
git-index-pack.txt:	instead and a copy is then written to <pack-file>. If
git-index-pack.txt:	<pack-file> is not specified, the pack is written to
git-index-pack.txt:	<pack-file> is not specified consider using --keep to
git-unpack-objects.txt:'git unpack-objects' [-n] [-q] [-r] [--strict] < <pack-file>
technical/pack-heuristics.txt:    <linus> Anyway, the pack-file could easily be denser still, but
technical/pack-heuristics.txt:    <linus> In particular, while the pack-file is then compressed,
technical/pack-heuristics.txt:    <linus> Anyway: I'm not even trying to claim that the pack-files
technical/pack-protocol.txt:  update-request    =  *shallow ( command-list | push-cert ) [pack-file]
technical/pack-protocol.txt:  pack-file         = "PACK" 28*(OCTET)
user-manual.txt:[[pack-files]]

A quick "git grep packfile" vs "git grep pack-file" inside
Documentation/ directory indicates that we seem to use 'packfile'
primarily in the lower-level technical documents that are not
end-user facing.  Almost half of them are in the release notes
that we won't bother "fixing", so it might make sense to go the
other way around, consistently using "pack-file" that may be more
familiar to end-users.

What do others think?