Subject: Re: [PATCH] builtin/clean.c: Handle disappearing files

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 12:21:04 -0700

David Turner <[email-masked]> writes:

> So maybe we should just move the lstat below the pathspec check.  This
> is probably faster in some cases anyway.  What do you think?

I also was wondering about the placement of that lstat; because
having it before the pathspec filtering didn't make sense to me at
all.  If we are not told to clean some parts of the tree, we really
shouldn't be looking at that part of the tree.  I think such a
change is desirable and the justification of the change should be
based solely on the above---limit first and then check, don't check
what we were not told to look at.

And if such a change lets you solve your original issue, that is a
nice side effect I am happy to see.  By excluding the paths that are
unstable (because other processes randomly muck with them without
coordinating with the user) explicitly when running "git clean", the
user _is_ saying that s/he is aware of the issue and is actively
avoiding modifications by the third-party would not get in the way,
so I wouldn't call that sweeping it under the rug, like I did for
your original one.

Thanks.