Subject: Re: [RFC] On watchman support

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 13:26:56 -0800

David Turner <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, 2014-11-18 at 12:55 -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> I vaguely recall that the reason why we dropped it was because it
>> was too much code churn in an area that was being worked on in
>> parallel, but you may need to go back to the list archive for
>> details.
>
> OK, in that case I'll try to remember to reroll it once the rest of the
> refs stuff lands.

Sure.  But I would much prefer to see us explore an arch independent
optimisation of the caller before starting to micro-optimize a leaf
function.  

It is not check_refname_format() that is the real problem. It's the
fact that we do O(# of refs) work whenever we have to access the
packed-refs file. check_refname_format() is part of that, surely,
but so is reading the file, creating all of the refname structs in
memory, etc. (credit to peff@).