Subject: Re: [PATCH] Update SVN.pm

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 10:39:49 -0700

Stepan Kasal <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 12:13:21PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Interesting.  What other strange forms can they record in their
>> repositories, I have to wonder.  Can they do
>>     2014-01-07T5:8:6.048176Z
>> for example?
>
> Roman Belinsky, the author of this fix, witnessed after large scale
> conversion that the problem happens with the hour part only.

Is this "large scale conversion" done from a SVN repository that is
created by bog standard SVN, or something else?  How certain are we
that this "hour part is broken" is the only kind of breakage in
timestamps we would encouter?

What I am trying to get at is that "we didn't see any breakage at
positions other than hour part after checking 2 million commits" is
different from "there will no breakage at positions other than hour
part", and by being slightly more lenient than necessary to cover
one observed case that triggered the patch, we can cover SVN
repositories broken in a similar but slightly different way.

Especially given that this regexp matching is not used for finding a
timestamp from random places but to parse out the datum we find at a
place where we expect to see a timestamp (check the callers), I
think loosening to allow single-digit minutes and seconds in the
same commit that allows single-digit hours would be such "slightly
more lenient than necessary" change without additional risk of
mistaking something that is not a timestamp as a timestamp.

Thanks.