Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 14/25] setup.c: convert is_git_directory() to use strbuf

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:06:46 -0800

Duy Nguyen <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:17 AM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> +     strbuf_setlen(sb, len);
>>> +     strbuf_add(sb, s, strlen(s));
>>
>> I am not sure addstr_at() gives us a good abstraction, or at least
>> the name conveys what it does well not to confuse readers.
>>
>> At first after only seeing its name, I would have expected that it
>> would splice the given string into an existing strbuf at the
>> location, not chopping the existing strbuf at the location and
>> appending.
>
> I think I invented a few new strbuf_* in this series and this is one
> of them. We have about ~14 other places in current code that do
> similar pattern: set length back, then add something on top.

Yes, and you can count getline/getwholeline as a special case to
chomp to empty at the beginning.  I am not opposed to a helper to
give us an easy access to this common pattern.

It was just the name "addstr-at" did not sound, at least to me, what
it does, i.e. "replace with s from the pos to the end", which I
think is the same thing as a single-liner:

    strbuf_splice(sb, pos, sb->len - pos, s, strlen(s))