Subject: Re: [Outreachy PATCH v6 1/3] environment: stop storing `core.attributesFile` globally

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2026 09:13:42 -0800

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 11/02/2026 16:46, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> At the beginning of repo_config_values() in the patch, there is a
>> check to ensure that repo->initialized is true and otherwise you get
>> an error.  But the initialization is already done in the early part
>> of initialize_repository() as quoted above.  So I do not see what
>> difference it would make if we rewrote the last line as
>
> In Bello's patch there is a second assertion in repo_config_values() 
> that checks "repo == the_repository" and that one fails. I suggested 
> adding it because the config values are still global rather than per 
> repository so we should only be reading them from "the_repository".

Ah, OK.  It may indeed be a good safety valve with the current
codebase.  I am not sure what the upgrade path would look like from
there, though.

Thanks.