Subject: Re: How do i get news of git releases

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2025 14:05:44 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> The project doesn't use GitHub's Releases feature specifically, but I
> think annotated tags that are pushed to the repo end up there, too. The
> resulting feed entries are a little bare. Possibly they could be
> populated with the release notes, but from the Git project's
> perspective, the GitHub repo is really just a Git mirror. Presumably it
> would require some scripting around GitHub's API for the tag pushes to
> also create Release entries (and then probably somebody would want the
> same for the GitLab mirror, and so on).
>
> I think it may also be a reasonable feature for git-scm.com to have its
> own RSS feed. It already has to know about all of the releases (so it
> can point to the most recent one, for example). Most of the development
> for that site happens at https://github.com/git/git-scm.com. So if you
> or anybody is interested in adding the feature, it would probably make
> sense to start a discussion there.

It would give us a bit finer grained report to trigger updates to
the blob RelNotes symbolic link points at, if the rss geneators can
monitor such things.