Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 6/6] agent: advertise OS name via agent capability

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2025 09:57:04 -0800

Usman Akinyemi <[email-masked]> writes:

> I was actually thinking about this inside the bathroom when it
> occurred to me that,
> according to the current implementation, GIT_USER_AGENT will not allow the user
> to specify an empty string at all. It is either you specify some value
> or we decide for
> you.

Yes.  GIT_USER_AGENT=ImNotTellingYou would work just fine for
privacy concious folks.

> I think we can add the config at a level that can disable the
> agent capability completely
> instead of only tweaking the (os) part.

Yes, go back to a few messages you received from me earlier; it is
already there ;-)

    If we were to give them an improvement in the area for privacy
    features, I would think it would be to add a configuration variable
    to turn the agent off, instead of having to leave GIT_USER_AGENT
    environment variable set in the environment of their processes.