Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 0/3] doc: introducing synopsis para

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2024 23:23:52 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Josh Steadmon <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> This still breaks on MacOS, as `sed` doesn't understand the '-E' option
>> there.
>
> Can you try to see t6030 also breaks due to lack of ERE in the same
> environment?  It seems it uses "sed -E", so it should fail to find
> what it is trying to.
>
> Thanks.

The reason why I am curious is because https://ss64.com/mac/sed.html
claims that -E works.

Earlier I wrote somewhere whatever problem it is it would be shared
with BSD implementation of sed.  But apparently BSD's sed also works
with the -E option.  https://man.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?sed(1)

So, I dunno.  Perhaps it is not -E but some specific construct used
in the pattern?