Subject: Re: [PATCH] unicode: update the width tables to Unicode 16

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 14:54:26 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Beat,
>
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2024, Beat Bolli wrote:
>
>> Unicode 16 has been announced on 2024-09-10 [0], so update the character
>> width tables to the new version.
>>
>> [0] https://blog.unicode.org/2024/09/announcing-unicode-standard-version-160.html
>
> I can confirm that the output is identical to the result of running
> ./contrib/update-unicode/update_unicode.sh.

Thanks for double checking.  I did the same when I queued the patch
and it indeed looked good.

> Maybe we should add an automated, scheduled workflow for these updates?

We could, but the consortium aims to issue major updates once a year
in September, with minor versions and updates "will be avoided", so
we may need to devise automation that makes better use of resources
than to scrape http://www.unicode.org/Public/UCD/latest/ucd/ daily.

44dc651132 2024-09-12T22:40:47+02:00 unicode: update the width tables to Unicode 16
872976c37e 2023-09-25T21:07:04+02:00 unicode: update the width tables to Unicode 15.1
b10cbdac4c 2023-03-30T21:15:17+02:00 unicode: update the width tables to Unicode 15
187fc8b8b6 2021-09-17T12:19:20-07:00 unicode: update the width tables to Unicode 14
65588b0b2e 2020-03-17T16:36:05+01:00 unicode: update the width tables to Unicode 13.0
5817f9caa3 2019-05-29T22:50:45+02:00 unicode: update the width tables to Unicode 12.1
584b62c37b 2019-03-21T22:06:17+01:00 unicode: update the width tables to Unicode 12
570951eea2 2018-07-09T21:44:52+02:00 unicode: update the width tables to Unicode 11
e233bef43e 2018-04-10T14:26:17-07:00 unicode_width.h: rename to use dash in file name