Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v3 0/7] Introduce clar testing framework

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2024 13:50:11 -0700

Josh Steadmon <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm generally in favor of this change, but I'm still unsure what our
> plan is for importing this from upstream clar. Are we going to vendor
> our own copy here and (hopefully) someone will pay attention to upstream
> fixes and apply them to our copy? Or will we replace this with a
> submodule?

As long as we do not have to make any changes to the "vendored" code
ourselves, that would not matter.  We will not randomly update the
gitlink that specifies "we want to use _this_ version and not other
version of upstream clar" without good reasons if you are using it
as a submodule, and we would need to justify why we are updating the
hierarchy if we import the hierarchy as vendored source.  So the hassle
of "updating from upstream" is pretty much the same.

For something as small as "clar", I think it is fine to start with
the currently proposed layout and see what happens.  If we can keep
going without touching the imported part of the sources at all, and
the system proves to be useful and stable, that is a good time to
suggest moving it out and binding the selected version of the
upstream as a submodule.

Thanks.