Subject: Re: git diff-tree do not honor diff.orderfile config

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2024 15:10:00 -0700

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

> So I suppose the question is whether supporting -O from diff-tree is
> sensible. If it is, then reading the diff.orderFile configuration option
> is a no-brainer. But if it isn't, then we should probably not make a bad
> situation worse by adding support for it.

If plumbing commands paid attention to the end-user configuration,
they will not serve as a reliable building blocks for script
writers.  The would instead change their behaviour in a way not
expected by script writers.

On the other hand, we do want to give script writers an option to
utilize power of the underlying machinery.  If they want to specify
a particular order of paths in the output, they are welcome to feed
an orderfile via the command line and that is why we have an option.

Supporting "-O <orderfile>" and ignoring "diff.orderfile" are both
very sensible thing for the plumbing commands and it is the result
of deliberate design.

Thanks.