Subject: Re: Git mirror at gitlab

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 09:34:25 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Circling back on this topic: https://gitlab.com/git is unfortunately
>> taken, so it's out of question. I'd say the most pragmatic thing to do
>> would thus be to retain the already-existing location of the official
>> mirror at GitLab.

https://gitlab.com/git/ sems to give us 404, though.

> I still have not been able to reach Ævar until now. Unless somebody else
> has a way to contact him directly we at GitLab are wondering how to
> continue.

Git @ SFC has heard from [email-masked] on Nov 29, 2023 but I do
not recall any more recent communications X-<.

> It would certainly be great to set up ownership of whatever solution we
> arrive at such that it's more distributed across the community so that
> we don't have a single point of failure in the future. Also, I don't
> want us at GitLab to be the sole owners of the mirror, so I have been
> wondering how the other mirrors are set up and whom we should add to any
> such mirror.

Distribution, yes.  I do not think we mind if the set of volunteer
owners end up to be all GitLab folks, but aiming for diversity is
good.

> In any case, once things are arranged I will collaborate with our
> support folks to get free CI minutes for the new mirror.

Wonderful.

Thanks.