Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 1/2] cat-file: add mailmap support to -s option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 16:27:48 +0900

Siddharth Asthana <[email-masked]> writes:

> +test_expect_success 'git cat-file -s returns correct size with --use-mailmap' '
> +	test_when_finished "rm .mailmap" &&
> +	cat >.mailmap <<-\EOF &&
> +	C O Mitter <[email-masked]> Orig <[email-masked]>
> +	EOF
> +	git cat-file commit HEAD | wc -c >expect &&
> +	git cat-file --use-mailmap commit HEAD | wc -c >>expect &&
> +	git cat-file -s HEAD >actual &&
> +	git cat-file --use-mailmap -s HEAD >>actual &&

Doesn't this break under macOS where wc output tends to be padded
with SP on the right?  We used to often see test breakage when a
carelessly written test like

	test "$(wc -l <outout)" = 2

which expects the output file to have exactly two files (the
solution in this sample case is to lose the double quotes around the
command substitution).

Besides, having "cat-file" on the upstream side of a pipe is a bad
practice.