Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 1/1] diff.c: When appropriate, use utf8_strwidth()

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 10:43:07 -0700

Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]> writes:

> What more is needed ?
> To fix all other bugs/issues/limitations in diff.c ?
> If yes, they need to go in separate commits anyway, or do I miss
> something ?

At least leave some NEEDSWORK comment in the code that is known to
need more work, to remind others that the fix in the area of the
code is not done, perhaps.  Otherwise, much of the effort in the
review gets lost.

I offhand recall at least two (please go back to the original thread
to find the details of them).  One that measures the width of
long/path/name in bytes to determine where to start chomping in the
diffstat filename (because it still mixes display columns and
bytes), and the other one that measures the width of leading graph
segment in bytes without ignoring the ANSI color sequence, which
should be using utf8_strnwidth() but is using strlen().

https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Thanks.