Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/9] archive: Add --recurse-submodules to git-archive command

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 09:16:15 -0700

Heather Lapointe <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks for taking a look.
>
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 2:34 PM Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Today I was scheduled to be offline, so I won't dig further on the
>> issues this topic has now, but the new tests this series introduces,
>> namely t1023 and t5005, both relies on being able to clone a nested
>> submodule via file:// transport, which no longer is allowed.
>
> I was following the patterns of t/lib-submodule-update.sh. Are there
> better examples
> that I can follow?

Mimic what Taylor did to adjust to the new world order that was
introduced in the 2.38.1 update.

Look at 9c32cfb4 (Sync with v2.38.1, 2022-10-17), which merges
2.38.1 and updates the tests to adjust to the new world order, by
comparing the t/ directory of its first parent and the result of the
merge.  It shows what Taylor did to adjust the tests to adjust.

    $ git diff 9c32cfb4^ 9c32cfb4 t/

I personally doubt it is generally a good idea, as it sets a bad
pattern that tempts unsuspecting users to blindly copy and paste it
to their $HOME/.gitconfig without realizing what its ramifications
are, but the easiest workaround may be to mimic what was done in
t/lib-submodule-update.sh that sets protocol.file.allow
configuration knob globally.