Subject: Re: C99 "for (int ..." form on "master"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 21:48:32 -0700

Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks for catching this and bringing it up; sorry for missing it earlier.
>
> 6563706568b says we should "revisit this *around* November 2022"
> (emphasis added).  2.38 will be released in October 2022.  So, maybe
> it's fine as-is.
>
> But if others prefer these be fixed over moving up the deadline, I'll
> go ahead and submit a patch.
>
> I guess we just need a call.  Junio?

I do not see a need to do anything special at this moment.

When somebody reports that their favorite compiler does not yet grok
the syntax, we can ask them to ensure that there are only two places
that need "fixing" for them to compile.  It would have been ideal if
we kept the "weather balloon" to the only one known place, but the
second one would not be a disaster.

We would re-evaluate the situation when such a report comes, but
even if we decide to stay away from the syntax a bit longer, we know
exactly where the only two places we need to revert are.

One thing we should absolutely avoid is to open the floodgate and
deliberately add more of them, just for the sake of adding more of
them.

Thanks.

P.S. Tomorrow is that "gitster goes offline every other Tuesday"
day.