Subject: Re: [PATCH 06/10] object-file API: replace some use of check_object_signature()

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 11:16:57 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> Add a "hash_object_file_literally()" function to go with the existing
> "hash_object_file()" function. This is currently a wrapper for its
> sibling, but this change will allow us to change it to take an "enum
> object_type" in a subsequent commit.

This is a confusing renaming, because there is already a public
function that exists under that name.  And with this implementation,
...

> +static void hash_object_file_literally(const struct git_hash_algo *algo, const void *buf,
> +				       unsigned long len, const char *type,
> +				       struct object_id *oid)
> +{
> +	hash_object_file(algo, buf, len, type, oid);
> +}

... it is dubious why we need it.

> -int hash_object_file_literally(const void *buf, unsigned long len,
> -			       const char *type, struct object_id *oid,
> -			       unsigned flags)
> +int hash_write_object_file_literally(const void *buf, unsigned long len,
> +				     const char *type, struct object_id *oid,
> +				     unsigned flags)

This renaming is actually OK, if hash_object_file() which is also
public is renamed to hash_write_object_file() at the same time.

But I would say we should try to avoid such name churn to the public
namespace.