Subject: Re: Bug report - sparse-checkout ignores prefix when run in subdirectories

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 11:25:01 -0800

Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 4:17 PM Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> > Are you possibly confusing pathspecs with gitignore patterns here?
>> > (Or am I?)  Or are you suggesting that sparse-checkout be modified to
>> > accept either gitignore-style files or pathspecs and handle both?
>>
>> Much closer to the latter (actually, removing ignore patterns, and
>> make the subsystem work with pathspecs).
>
> Oh, interesting.  That'd at least suggest you're also happy to get rid
> of the ignore patterns in this subsystem if we find a feasible
> transition plan to do so.  I'll keep that in mind.  :-)

It is more like "I've never used it and I'll probably never use it
myself, so I have no data as to how badly we will be hurting
existing users".